27 collection Results


RG 17: Records of the Organized Women Voters

The Organized Women Voters of Arlington County was founded in 1923 as the Arlington County League of Women Voters, and later that same year changed its name to the Organized Women Voters in order to remain clearly independent of the now nationally known League of Women Voters. As of 2017, the organization was still active in Arlington County.

The objectives of the organization were "to collect and disseminate political and civic information; to be non partisan; and to be free to take action on any County problem." The Organized Women Voters has been active in educating Arlington County voters on voting procedures and political candidates, as well as actively supporting women candidates for County Board positions. The organization also sponsored two yearly local events for a number of years    the Woman of the Year Award and the annual Birthday Luncheon.

Record Group 17 houses the scattered records of the Women Voters of Arlington County. The collection measures 9.2 linear feet, and ranges from 1923 to 2015. Found in this group are scattered meeting minutes, membership lists, meeting announcements, by‑laws and constitution, financial documentation, memorabilia, and news clippings. Of particular interest are the early meeting minutes and correspondence for the 1923 through 1925 period. The collection also houses several photographs of members at their various functions.



RG 44: Records of the League of Women Voters of Arlington, VA, Inc., 1945-2001 

The League of Women Voters of the United States was formed in 1920 in order to foster education in citizenship and to support improved legislation, but the organization is allied with no political party. From 1900 to 1946 the League was a federation of state leagues, but in 1946 it became an association of members enrolled in local leagues.

The Arlington-Alexandria League was provisionally founded in 1944 and divided into two separate branches in 1947. An important emphasis has been voter information services and the production of studies on local and state issues.

 

Record Group 44 houses records of the League of Women Voters of Arlington, Virginia, 1945-2001.  Making up a small proportion of the collection are some scattered papers of the League of Women Voters of the National Capital Area, 1971-1995; of the League of Women Voters of Virginia, 1975-1993; and of the League of Women Voters of the United States, 1971-1994. The records give a good overview of the most important governmental and social issues of Arlington, of Virginia, and of the United States in the post-World War II era. The collection measures approximately 23 linear feet.



RG 19: Personal Papers of Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell, 1942-1991


The personal papers in this collection are those collected and generated by Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell of Arlington, Virginia. Mrs. Campbell had long been involved in Arlington County educational and civic issues and active in many civic associations. She was a member of the American Association of University Women, the League of Women Voters, Women's Democratic Club, and the Arlington County Citizen's Committee for School Improvement.

Mrs. Campbell's  involvement in the CCSI prompted her to run as a candidate for  the first elected Arlington County School Board in 1947, and she served from 1948 through 1955. In 1956, the Virginia General  Assembly mandated appointed school boards and Mrs. Campbell  accepted an appointment, serving from 1960 to 1963. 

The collection measures approximately seven linear feet and covers the period from 1945 through 1991, with the bulk of the material falling between 1947 and 1959.


RG 156: Records of Soroptimist International of Arlington, Virginia, 1938-2008

Soroptimist International (SI) is an international organization whose members work to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. The Arlington organization was formed in 1938.

Over the years the Soroptimists raised money in a variety of ways for projects benefitting many worthy local causes such as Arlington Hospital, Over-60 Employment and Counseling Services (publicized in 1957 by “The Ladies Home Journal”), American Red Cross, and the Arlington Public Library, among others.

It was challenging over the years to keep the number of members at a sustainable level. The club disbanded in 2008.

The record group measures approximately 3 linear feet and additionally 21 large scrapbooks. The collection dates from 1938 to 2008 with the bulk between 1956 and 2007 with few records dating from the later 1970s. Types of material include minutes, club histories, newsletters, correspondence, photographs, clippings, conference and award documents and miscellaneous items, as well as the aforementioned scrapbooks.

The RG documents the organization’s activities including participation in regional and national conferences. SI scrapbooks, 1950s-2001 especially are valuable in this regard, including many programs, officer lists, newsletters, clippings, and photographs. The Venture Club scrapbook covers activities 1971-1973.


RG 23: The Personal Papers of Eleanor Lee Templeman, 1928-1990

 

Eleanor Lee Templeman (b.1907-d.1990) grew up in California and lived in Arlington from 1935 until she died. She served as historian of the Society of the Lees of Virginia, and was an active local historian, publishing Arlington Heritage: Vignettes of a Virginia County (1959) and (with Nan Netherton) Northern Virginia Heritage (1966). She contributed many articles to Virginia historical publications, and received awards for her research achievements, including one from Marymount University (1975), and from the American Association for State and Local History (1983).

The personal papers described in this guide are those collected and generated by Eleanor Lee Templeman of Arlington, Virginia. The collection measures approximately 3.5 linear feet, and dates from 1928 to 1990, with the bulk of the material falling between 1955 and 1980.

Much of the material in this collection was generated or collected during research for her books, Arlington Heritage and Northern Virginia Heritage. Included are correspondence, notes, clippings and pamphlets. The record group also contains papers reflecting Mrs. Templeman's involvement in civic organizations such as the Arlington Cultural Heritage Commission (1962-1968), the Arlington Historical Commission (1967-1975) and the Arlington Historical Society (1976-1981). There are also copies of some of her articles, 1928-1989. A scrapbook of clippings of her newspaper series, "Arlington Heritage", a predecessor of her book, has been copied.


RG 76: The Personal Papers of Nan Netherton, 1946-1987

Anne “Nan” Netherton (1926-2003) was a prominent figure in capturing the history of Arlington County and all of Northern Virginia. Netherton and her husband Ross co-wrote a book on Arlington County titled Arlington County in Virginia: A Pictorial History in 1987. Born in Illinois, Netherton moved to Northern Virginia in 1950 after working on the Manhattan Project during World War II and found that the area, while in a period of transition from rural to suburban, was historically interesting and important. She worked for Fairfax County as a staff member for the Office of Comprehensive Planning and compiled an 800-page history of the county for the U.S. Bicentennial celebrations in 1976. The Nethertons published many works on the history and development of Northern Virginia, especially in Fairfax County, where they resided, including Memories of Beautiful Burke, Virginia (1988), Fairfax County, Virginia: A History (1978), and Reston: A New Town in the Old Dominion (1989). Additionally, Nan volunteered for the Fairfax Historic Landmarks Commission, was elected president of the Northern Virginia Association for History in 1988, and received the Association’s Joseph Harsh Award for her work in historic preservation of local history in 2000.

The personal papers in this collection were generated by Nan Netherton. The collection is approximately 4.5 linear feet and dates from 1946 to 1987 with the bulk of dates ranging from the mid 1970’s to the mid 1980’s. Much of the material in this collection is generated from her research on Theodore Roosevelt Island and economic, residential, and physical development of Arlington.
 


RG 354: CB Rose

Cornelia Bruere Rose Jr. graduated from Bryn Mawr College in 1928 with a degree in economics and politics and a minor in history. She then worked as an economist in New York City until her marriage in 1934 to Laszlo Ecker-Racz, also an economist, after which they moved to the Washington area where she first worked for the federal government.  However, she maintained her maiden name all her life, as she put it, “to preserve her identity.”
As assistant to the Arlington County Manager from 1958 to l965, she wrote the manager’s annual report, edited the departmental reports and prepared the Handbook on County Government Organization.  In the studies that she wrote and edited she said that she tried to cover “not just the current factors, but the background and development of the subject as well.”   She also recalled not being able to find answers to historical questions that she was asked and soon discovered that no comprehensive history of Arlington, its issues and development had been written.
As a result, over the years, she collected a wide variety of material on Arlington and published both The Boundaries of Arlington as well as The Indians of Arlington.
At the request of the Arlington Bientennial Commission she compiled her extensive research into the book Arlington: A County in Virginia (1976), the most comprehensive history of the county that has been written.
Rose’s collection in the Center for Local History contains many early documents that would undoubtedly have disappeared if she had not had the foresight to preserve them and then compile twenty-five years of research into what remains the seminal history of this county.
Next 20