29 collection Results


RG 322, the Arlington Woman's Club Papers, contains materials from the Arlington Women's Club, 1934-1970.

  
Women’s clubs have long been a crucial component in the establishment of a societal framework from which women could organize and advocate their concerns for the betterment of all.
One of the most venerable women’s club in Arlington County is the Woman’s Club of Arlington. Formed in late 1931, the club was originally based in the Columbia Pike area. They pioneered trash collection in Arlington by purchasing trash cans which they chained to posts throughout the neighborhood, leading the County to begin regular collections shortly afterward.  Other contributions and activities include planting of trees, studies on crime control, sponsorship of the County Red Cross during World War II, the Teen Town Club for children of military families, scholarship funding for Wakefield High School students (which continues to this day), and receptions for newly naturalized citizens, among many other significant acts. 


This collection contains scrapbooks documenting the Arlington Woman's Club from 1934 to 1970. These scrapbooks contain photographs, newspaper articles, correspondence, programs and other publicity materials, and administrative records.

This collection is currently being processed and a finding aid will be available soon.

Cornelia Bruere Rose Jr. graduated from Bryn Mawr College in 1928 with a degree in economics and politics and a minor in history. She then worked as an economist in New York City until her marriage in 1934 to Laszlo Ecker-Racz, also an economist, after which they moved to the Washington area where she first worked for the federal government. However, she maintained her maiden name all her life, as she put it, “to preserve her identity.”

As assistant to the Arlington County Manager from 1958 to 1965, she wrote the manager’s Annual Report, edited the departmental reports and prepared the Handbook on County Government Organization. In the studies that she wrote and edited she said that she tried to cover “not just the current factors, but the background and development of the subject as well.” She also recalled not being able to find answers to historical questions that she was asked and soon discovered that no comprehensive history of Arlington, its issues and development, had been written. As a result, over the years she collected a wide variety of material on Arlington that would undoubtedly have disappeared if she had not had the foresight to preserve them, and published both The Boundaries of Arlington and The Indians of Arlington.

At the request of the Arlington Bicentennial Commission Rose compiled her extensive research into the book Arlington: A County in Virginia (1976), the most comprehensive history of the county that has been written.

RG 354, C.B. Rose Papers, is approximately 11.7 linear feet and contains many early documents including ephemera, correspondence, memos, maps, and reports, many of which were created by various departments of Arlington County government. It also includes copies of older material on Arlington dating from the 19th century that reside in other institutions.

This collection is currently in process and a finding aid will be available soon.


RG 158: Ruby Lee Minar Family Papers, 1923-1979

Shortly after the end of World War I, Ruby Lee Minar entered the real estate industry. Using a few hundred dollars from Liberty Bonds, she invested in real estate in the Chevy Chase area and in 1919 began acquiring practical experience working for a Washington, D.C. real estate firm as a saleswoman. In 1920, she opened her own real estate business—Ruby Lee Minar, Inc.—in the Evans Building in Washington, D.C.

Soon after, Minar had obtained exclusive rights for the sale property in the Lyon Park neighborhood of Arlington County. By 1922, she employed 20 salesmen and saleswomen, had sold $1,000,000 worth of property in the Lyon Park subdivision, and had opened extension offices in Lyon Park and Cherrydale.

In 1923 she controlled 400 acres of land between the Potomac and the Washington Country Club, which became the site of her next subdivision project—Lee Heights—valued at $3,000,000. Minar had the foresight to recognize that the planned Key and Memorial Bridges and Lee Highway that would connect Washington, D.C., and Arlington were integral to the suburban expansion she envisioned.

Minar also arranged for other residential amenities such as gas mains, a sewage system, and a water reservoir, all of which helped broaden the appeal of living in the Lee Heights neighborhood and contributed to its success.

Record Group 158, measuring .63 linear feet and artifact storage, contains the personal papers of the Ruby Lee Minar family and spans 1923-1979. The bulk of the material pertains to Ruby Lee and Patricia and comes from the period of the early 1920s through the early 1950s. The collection contains handwritten and typed correspondence; 1930s holiday cards; photographs; publicity and business records for Ruby Lee Minar, Inc.; a copy of John’s death certificate; and the paperwork with official seals recording Ruby Lee’s death abroad. There is also a 1930s play bill from a production of “Private Lives” at the Barter Theater in Abingdon in Arlington County. The collection contains material in English, German, French, Danish, and Polish. 

 


PG 212 - Coupled with the Center’s extensive oral history collection, this small collection of photographs, donated to the library in the 1990s, provide a fascinating window into the changing nature of family life and small business ownership along the Columbia Pike corridor between the 1910s and the 1960s.
Coupled with the Center’s extensive oral history collection, this small collection of photographs, donated to the library in the 1990s, provide a fascinating window into the changing nature of family life and small business ownership along the Columbia Pike corridor between the 1910s and the 1960s.


RG 333: The Ellen Bozman Papers

Ellen M. Bozman, a community activist and politician for Arlington County, guided Arlington as it transitioned from a suburban to urban community during the latter half of the 20th century. Though perhaps most well-known as the longest serving Arlington County Board member (1974-1997), Bozman’s civic influence extended beyond her tenure as a board member through participation in various community organizations and governmental bodies.
 
Bozman’s work prior to the County Board is associated with human relations and planning. As part of the League of Women Voters, Bozman conducted educational programs to assist with integration of the public school system in Arlington in the 1950s. Later, as a member of the Community Relations Committee in the 1960s, which researched and reported on acts of discrimination to the Arlington County Board, she investigated County hiring practices of African-Americans and pushed for the adaption of non-discriminatory policies. As part of the County’s Planning Commission from 1971-1973, Bozman focused on ways to revitalize Clarendon, Arlington’s major commercial center at the time, which was soon to be disrupted by the coming Metrorail. 
 
Bozman ran for the County Board in 1973 as an Independent candidate, though she was backed by the local Democratic party. She ran on a platform that promoted controlled growth, especially around new Metro corridors, opposition to the route I-66 in favor of other mass-transit options, maintaining neighborhoods and increasing park and recreational space, and providing new services to retired and elderly residents. She captured more than 50% of the vote in a 3-way race, becoming the first woman elected to the County Board since 1958.

Bozman won all her subsequent elections, running as an Independent candidate in every race except for her last election in 1993, during which she ran as a Democrat. She served as chairman of the County Board in 1976, 1983, 1984, 1989, 1992, and 1997.

In 2017, the Arlington County Board voted unanimously to rename the County Office Building at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard at Courthouse Plaza after Bozman, to honor her 24 years of service as a County Board member.


PG 215: The Little Tea House, 1921-1925

Following the success of her participation in the early suffrage campaign, Gertrude Crocker settled in Arlington where she and her sister Ruth opened the Little Tea House on Arlington Ridge Road.

The Little Tea House Restaurant began in 1920 and lasted until 1963 when it was demolished to make room for a high-rise apartment building. During its heyday, many famous people ate at the restaurant including Eleanor Roosevelt, Amelia Earhart, and Oliver Wendell Holmes. The property which was adjacent to both Prospect Hill and the remnants of Fort Albany included a restaurant, home, cottage, tower and wellhouse. Many of the images are annotated.


RG 23: The Personal Papers of Eleanor Lee Templeman, 1928-1990

 

Eleanor Lee Templeman (b.1907-d.1990) grew up in California and lived in Arlington from 1935 until she died. She served as historian of the Society of the Lees of Virginia, and was an active local historian, publishing Arlington Heritage: Vignettes of a Virginia County (1959) and (with Nan Netherton) Northern Virginia Heritage (1966). She contributed many articles to Virginia historical publications, and received awards for her research achievements, including one from Marymount University (1975), and from the American Association for State and Local History (1983).

The personal papers described in this guide are those collected and generated by Eleanor Lee Templeman of Arlington, Virginia. The collection measures approximately 3.5 linear feet, and dates from 1928 to 1990, with the bulk of the material falling between 1955 and 1980.

Much of the material in this collection was generated or collected during research for her books, Arlington Heritage and Northern Virginia Heritage. Included are correspondence, notes, clippings and pamphlets. The record group also contains papers reflecting Mrs. Templeman's involvement in civic organizations such as the Arlington Cultural Heritage Commission (1962-1968), the Arlington Historical Commission (1967-1975) and the Arlington Historical Society (1976-1981). There are also copies of some of her articles, 1928-1989. A scrapbook of clippings of her newspaper series, "Arlington Heritage", a predecessor of her book, has been copied.


RG 76: The Personal Papers of Nan Netherton, 1946-1987

Anne “Nan” Netherton (1926-2003) was a prominent figure in capturing the history of Arlington County and all of Northern Virginia. Netherton and her husband Ross co-wrote a book on Arlington County titled Arlington County in Virginia: A Pictorial History in 1987. Born in Illinois, Netherton moved to Northern Virginia in 1950 after working on the Manhattan Project during World War II and found that the area, while in a period of transition from rural to suburban, was historically interesting and important. She worked for Fairfax County as a staff member for the Office of Comprehensive Planning and compiled an 800-page history of the county for the U.S. Bicentennial celebrations in 1976. The Nethertons published many works on the history and development of Northern Virginia, especially in Fairfax County, where they resided, including Memories of Beautiful Burke, Virginia (1988), Fairfax County, Virginia: A History (1978), and Reston: A New Town in the Old Dominion (1989). Additionally, Nan volunteered for the Fairfax Historic Landmarks Commission, was elected president of the Northern Virginia Association for History in 1988, and received the Association’s Joseph Harsh Award for her work in historic preservation of local history in 2000.

The personal papers in this collection were generated by Nan Netherton. The collection is approximately 4.5 linear feet and dates from 1946 to 1987 with the bulk of dates ranging from the mid 1970’s to the mid 1980’s. Much of the material in this collection is generated from her research on Theodore Roosevelt Island and economic, residential, and physical development of Arlington.
 

RG 188, Wakefield High School Student Posters, consists of appoximately 90 posters created by students at Wakefield High School in the southern part of Arlington County. These posters, created on school premises, advertise school events, clubs and activities taking place primarily during the 1969-1970 school year. All the posters are silkscreen images on poster or construction paper of various sizes. This set of remarkable posters was donated by David Crist (Wakefield '70).
Next 20