The story of the SUN GAZETTE is really the story of two newspapers and how they eventually came together:
The SUN: The newspaper now known as the Sun Gazette began publishing as the Sun on Dec. 12, 1935. The paper was printed weekly until 1951 when it was sold and merged with the Arlington Daily, a 6-days a week paper that had been published since the early 1940s. The daily paper became known as the Northern Virginia Sun, and its focus expanded throughout the growing western suburbs. The paper was sold again in 1957 and once more in 1963. During the 1960s and 1970s the Sun combined in-depth local coverage with wire-service reports or national and international news as well. From 1963 until 1988 the Northern Virginia Sun had the same owner, but in 1988, for economic reasons it was again sold.
The GAZETTE: The Gazette was founded in 1979 in Great Falls and expanded over the next few years to include coverage of nearby Virginia jurisdictions. By 1989, as competition increased, the Gazette was sold to the same company that had purchased the Northern Virginia Sun.
The two papers continued to be published as separate entities with several different ownership groups from outside the local area, but eventually the papers would merge and take the name Sun Gazette, referencing both the original Sun and the later Gazette. Despite further changes in ownership the name has remained the same.
In keeping with the digital age, the Sun Gazette is now also available online. For online access to more recent issues of the Gazette please visit: www.insidenova.com
Digitization of the Sun Gazette microfilm was made possible by a generous donation from the Friends of the Library.
Additional issues are being added weekly to this collection.