RG 156: Records of Soroptimist International of Arlington, Virginia, 1938-2008
Soroptimist International (SI) is an international organization whose members work to improve the lives of women and girls through programs leading to social and economic empowerment. The Arlington organization was formed in 1938.
Over the years the Soroptimists raised money in a variety of ways for projects benefitting many worthy local causes such as Arlington Hospital, Over-60 Employment and Counseling Services (publicized in 1957 by “The Ladies Home Journal”), American Red Cross, and the Arlington Public Library, among others.
It was challenging over the years to keep the number of members at a sustainable level. The club disbanded in 2008.
The record group measures approximately 3 linear feet and additionally 21 large scrapbooks. The collection dates from 1938 to 2008 with the bulk between 1956 and 2007 with few records dating from the later 1970s. Types of material include minutes, club histories, newsletters, correspondence, photographs, clippings, conference and award documents and miscellaneous items, as well as the aforementioned scrapbooks.
The RG documents the organization’s activities including participation in regional and national conferences. SI scrapbooks, 1950s-2001 especially are valuable in this regard, including many programs, officer lists, newsletters, clippings, and photographs. The Venture Club scrapbook covers activities 1971-1973.