RG 322, the Arlington Woman's Club Papers, contains materials from the Arlington Women's Club, 1934-1970.
Women’s clubs have long been a crucial component in the establishment of a societal framework from which women could organize and advocate their concerns for the betterment of all. One of the most venerable women’s club in Arlington County is the Woman’s Club of Arlington. Formed in late 1931, the club was originally based in the Columbia Pike area. They pioneered trash collection in Arlington by purchasing trash cans which they chained to posts throughout the neighborhood, leading the County to begin regular collections shortly afterward. Other contributions and activities include planting of trees, studies on crime control, sponsorship of the County Red Cross during World War II, the Teen Town Club for children of military families, scholarship funding for Wakefield High School students (which continues to this day), and receptions for newly naturalized citizens, among many other significant acts.