Cruitt Farm House, side, 1997
Part ofPG 250: Arlington's Changing Scene, 1997-2019 ; PG 250: Arlington's Changing Scene, 1997-2019 » Series 1: Neighborhood Exhibit, Library, 1997 » File 1
Cruitt Farm House, side. 1614 N. Highland Street. Robert Cruitt of Washington bought a farm in the Clarendon area in 1825 and built this house as a summer home for his family. He reportedly was the first person to import Jersey cows to the United States, and his farm maintained a fine herd of Jersey cows throughout four generations of the Cruitt family. The house served as a hospital during the Civil War. Builder Frank Lyon purchased the Cruitt farm in 1923 when he developed the Lyon Village subdivision.1 photograph : b&w negative ; 35 mm. This image is subject to copyright. Unauthorized use of the images in the Local History Photograph Collections of the Arlington Community Archives is prohibited.