Drew House, alternate view, 1997
Part ofPG 250: Arlington's Changing Scene, 1997-2019 ; PG 250: Arlington's Changing Scene, 1997-2019 » Series 1: Neighborhood Exhibit, Library, 1997 » File 1
Drew House, alternate view. 2505 1st Street South. This house is the home of the African American Drew family. Dr. Charles R. Drew lived here from 1920 to 1939. Dr. Drew was a surgeon who developed techniques for processing and storing blood plasma for use in transfusions. Until the eve of World War II the concept of the blood bank, storing and preserving donated blood until needed, was a theoretical concept only. Dr Drew gave the idea its first clinical application and showed it could be successful.1 photograph : b&w negative ; 35 mm. This image is subject to copyright. Unauthorized use of the images in the Local History Photograph Collections of the Arlington Community Archives is prohibited.